Miller Law Group Experienced, Proven Family Limited Partnership Lawyers
Our Family Limited Partnership Lawyers have 40 years’ experience preserving and protecting the assets in Berks County, PA communities in and around Reading, PA. Read the information on this page. You’ll discover that experience matters. Correctly set up Family Limited Partnerships prevents future problems with the IRS or Probate Court.
Why Consult With Our Family Limited Partnership Lawyers When Planning For Your Estate?
Estate Planning in Pennsylvania can be challenging. Two critical questions include how I can
- leave property and assets to your loved ones and children without burdening them with excessively high taxes which devalue the amount of money or property you’re leaving; and
- retain control over what you leave, ensuring your wishes are respected, and your property is distributed as you would like?
One solution that may answer both questions is a Family Limited Partnership (FLP). This legal instrument allows you to
- preserve family businesses and assets as well as property for your loved ones.; and
- retain control over what you have now while reducing the tax burden your loved ones will have to face later.
How Family Limited Partnerships Work in Pennsylvania
A Family Limited Partnership works very simply. You
- work with our Limited Family Partnership Attorneys to correctly set up and properly structure your partnership;
- transfer assets, businesses, and property to the FLP which now belong to the FLP;
- gift interests in the Family Limited Partnership to children as well as other beneficiaries; and
- very importantly, remain (and possibly your spouse) as general partners in the partnership meaning you control the assets and the property.
The advantages of a Family Limited Partnership include
- it allows you maximum control as well as full protection;
- interest gifted to your family members
- has no value in and of itself because you can’t sell, trade or give the interest away;
- cannot be used to control or make decisions about the assets in the partnership; and
- lastly, assets become accessible to your family members when you pass on; and
- considerable tax advantages because interest in the partnership is not valuable and marketable (it can’t be sold or traded) and valued at a discount for tax purposes. Therefore, after your passing, your beneficiaries pay less in taxes through a Family Limited Partnership than they would if you pass the same assets to them directly.
Why You Need a Family Limited Partnership Lawyer
If your Family Limited Partnership you risk running into issues with IRS and probate courts. Your Family Limited Partnership must
- work as a genuine partnership for business purposes; and
- operate as a business with meetings, the correct paperwork, and the right tax filings.
Not surprisingly, running a partnership can be quite complex. A Family Limited Partnership Attorney in Reading, PA can not only help you set up an FLP, but they can also ensure you understand how to follow all the rules. The IRS is less likely to challenge the validity of an FLP if it is compliant with the rules. Also, an Estate Planning Attorney can help you decide whether an FLP or other estate planning tools will be the most appropriate for your family and your needs.
- Convenient, Easy and Safe Free Parking;
- Easy Access Ramp; and
- Spacious, Well-Lit Offices