We are expert Business Structure Attorneys near Reading, PA. When Starting a Business, one of the most important decisions you will make is what type of structure to choose for your business. That’s because the type of business you select:
- can have significant tax consequences, and
- has benefits and drawbacks that could affect how your business flourishes and grows.
Consult with our experienced Business Formation Startup Attorneys. We have 40 years’ experience helping businesses in Reading, PA, Berks County and Lancaster County decide which type of business structure is best.
Five Basic Types of Business Formations Recognized by The IRS
1) Sole Proprietorship
Many small businesses start out as a sole proprietorship.
- You are the sole owner of the business;
- retain maximum control;
- keep all the profits of the company; and
- importantly, take on all risks and liability.
2) Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)
Limited Liability Corporations are attractive to many entrepreneurs. That’s because LLC’s have the benefits of both a Corporation and Sole Proprietorship structure. Here’s why. LLCs
- protect you from liability like a Corporation can but without the double taxation of a Corporation, and
- are flexible.
Note that in some cases, the tax liabilities with an LLC can be higher than with a Corporation. Our expert LLC Business Formation Startup Attorneys can explain ways to distribute profits that minimize taxes.
You need the advice of our experienced LLC Business Formation Startup Attorneys. You want to be sure you set your LLC up correctly, so you’re protected from liability.
In a Partnership two or more partners are
- liable for the business responsibilities and debts;
- entitled to profits; and
- importantly, responsible for the liabilities of the other partners.
Businesses interested in forming a Partnership should consult with our Business Partnership Formation Startup Attorneys. You want to make sure the Partnership Agreement protects you as much as possible.
4) Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
In a Limited Liability Partnership:
- There is usually a Managing Partner and one or more Limited Partners.
- Limited Partners
- can’t manage the business; and
- are not liable for the debts and legal responsibilities of the company.
- Setting up an LLP requires filing with the Secretary of State.
- You should discuss the benefits and drawbacks of this structure with our expert LLP Business Formation Startup Attorneys before proceeding. For example, a Limited Partner can lose their protection in some types of work.
- Lastly, there are special considerations for Family Limited Partnerships.
- minimize your exposure to liability and offer the best protection of your assets because shareholders are distinct from the company;
- have tax benefits;
- are subject to compliance rules; and
- finally, restrict flexibility.
Find out more about deciding to Incorporate your business.
You need help from our Corporation Business Formation Startup Attorneys. You’ll need a Certificate of Incorporation, Shareholders’ Agreements and more.
Setting up a business is an exciting time. But you need guidance from our experienced Business Attorneys to ensure your excitement doesn’t obscure some of the legal questions concerning new businesses.
Contact our Business Law Attorneys for a consultation. You won’t find more proven and experienced Business Formation Startup Attorneys in Reading, Berks County or Pennsylvania. We’re also expert
All are essential considerations for Business Startups.
You Won’t Find Better Business Attorneys in Reading or Berks County to Help You Decide Which Business Structure is Best for You
- 40 years’ practicing PA Business Law in Berks County communities around Reading, PA;
- a wide breadth of legal expertise necessary to help you intelligently decide which Business Structure is best;
- a reputation for being the most family-oriented law firm in Berks County. We never lose sight that we’re protecting both your businesses and the people associated with your business including
- your family; and
- and will always treat your business with the same attention to detail and concern as we would as if it were our own.
Your Business Structure is one of the most important decisions you make when starting a business. Contact Us Online or Call Us at 610-670-9000 today.
- Convenient, Easy and Safe Free Parking;
- Easy Access Ramp; and
- Spacious, Well-Lit Offices